Kuih Ketayap (Crepe with sweet coconut filling)
(recipe source: by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)
Sweet coconut filling
400g grated coconut (from young coconut)
2tbsp brown sugar
150g palm sugar /gula Melaka, chopped
2pcs pandan leaves (screwpines), knotted
4tbsp coarse white sugar
1. Mix brown sugar, palm sugar, pandan leaves and water in a pot, bring to boil until sugar melted.
2. Discard pandan leaves and set aside
3. In a clean wok, heat coarse sugar until melt (caramel effect).
4. Add in gula melaka mixture (no 1)
5. Add in grated coconut and salt
6. Stir fry until slightly dry and well combine. Set aside.
300g all purpose flour
2tbsp tapioca flour
650ml pandan water ( blend 650ml water + 20pcs pandan leaves)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1tbsp corn oil or cooking oil
1tbsp condensed sweet milk
1tsp Homemade pandan paste, optional
1. Mix flour, tapioca flour and salt in a mixing bowl.
2. Add corn oil,condensed sweet milk and pandan water together.
3. Add egg into flour mixture, slowly pour in the liquid mixture No 2, whisk till well combine.
4. Sift the batter and set aside for 1-2hours.
To prepare Kuih Ketayap
1. Heat up a shallow frying pan over a low flame and lightly grease with cooking oil. Pour a scoop of the batter in the center and swirl the pan to coat it and form a thin crepe.
2. Once the batter colour change and the edge of the batter turn dry, crepe is ready and remove it immediately. Fry just for one side only. Continue to fry till batter is finished and crepes can be stack on each other as it would not stick together.
3. Put a spoonful of the coconut filling on the crepe and roll it up like the spring roll.