- 430g Plain Flour
- 70g Fine Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 170g Unsalted Butter
- 200ml Buttermilk*
- 1 Egg (to make eggwash) or 1 tbsp Cream for brushing
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl.
- Add butter and mix with your fingertips to a coarse meal.
- Add buttermilk and mix just until combined.
- Leave it crumbly and not fully combined.
- Transfer dough to a floured board.
- Gently pat the dough and crumbs to combine.
- Flatten it to a rectangle.
- Lift both ends and fold inwards to the centre with a scraper (like a 3 fold business letter).
- Rotate 90°.
- Pat down to a rectangle again and repeat folding.
- Do this 3 times or until your dough comes together.
- Finally flatten out with your palm or rolling pin and cut with a sharp cookie cutter with a straight downwards motion. Do not twist the cutter.
- Lay the cut pieces on a greased baking paper thats placed on a tray.
- Brush the tops with eggwash, and bake for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Serve warm, split in half and top with butter, jam and cream.
Please check recent video posted on how it's made.
*I make my own buttermilk by adding 1 tbsp of White Vinegar to 200ml of Full Cream Milk.